Sibling preference in admissions: how reliable is it really — looking for recent parent experiences

wn0067

Our older child is already in the school and the younger one will apply for LKG next year. The school says siblings get preference but not a guarantee. Did this make a meaningful difference in your experience, or should we keep full backup options? Our family is split on this, which is why I am looking for first-hand experiences.

4 comments

  • Geetha Murali

    I would keep at least two backup options until the admission is formally confirmed. Timelines can overlap and waiting for one school made us unnecessarily anxious. We changed our approach after about a month because the first plan was too hard to sustain.

  • tp2161

    I would keep at least two backup options until the admission is formally confirmed. Timelines can overlap and waiting for one school made us unnecessarily anxious. The biggest surprise was that the practical routine mattered more than the option that looked best on paper.

  • th4059

    Get the entire fee structure in writing, including transport, books, uniform, activity charges and annual increases. Comparing only tuition was misleading for us.

    • Aparna N

      That makes sense. I think consistency is the part we are currently missing. The commute piece changed our final shortlist more than expected. Your child's response may be different, but this was our experience.

    • cv4617

      That makes sense. I think consistency is the part we are currently missing. The commute piece changed our final shortlist more than expected. In our house, the practical routine mattered more than the ideal plan.

    • Maya Mathew

      This is useful, thank you. The practical detail is exactly what I was looking for. The commute piece changed our final shortlist more than expected. Your child's response may be different, but this was our experience.

  • wk8144

    I would keep at least two backup options until the admission is formally confirmed. Timelines can overlap and waiting for one school made us unnecessarily anxious. My spouse had a different view initially, so we tried it for a few weeks before deciding.

    • Aparna N

      Interesting — we had assumed the opposite. Helpful to hear a first-hand experience. For us, the admission office answer and the parent answer were not always the same. I would still test it for a short period before making a long commitment.

    • eq6889

      That makes sense. I think consistency is the part we are currently missing. I wish we had asked this before paying the registration amount. We are in Chennai, so local logistics may be a little different.

    • ct7788

      Interesting — we had assumed the opposite. Helpful to hear a first-hand experience. We found this out only after doing a second school visit. We are in Chennai, so local logistics may be a little different.

Add a comment

Share what happened for you. Plain text; be kind and specific.