Sibling preference in admissions: how reliable is it really?

th4059

Our older child is already in the school and the younger one will apply for LKG next year. The school says siblings get preference but not a guarantee. Did this make a meaningful difference in your experience, or should we keep full backup options?

5 comments

  • Ajay Nair

    I would keep at least two backup options until the admission is formally confirmed. Timelines can overlap and waiting for one school made us unnecessarily anxious.

  • gv4082

    I would keep at least two backup options until the admission is formally confirmed. Timelines can overlap and waiting for one school made us unnecessarily anxious. Our child reacted better once we explained the change in advance instead of announcing it on the day. For us, the admission office answer and the parent answer were not always the same. I would still test it for a short period before making a long commitment.

    edited

    • wk8144

      Could you share what you would do differently if you were starting again? I wish we had asked this before paying the registration amount. We are in Gurugram, so local logistics may be a little different.

    • Rahul Shetty

      That is reassuring. We are trying to avoid making this a bigger issue than it needs to be.

    • tt7016

      Can I ask roughly what age/class your child was when you tried this? We found this out only after doing a second school visit. Your child's response may be different, but this was our experience.

  • yv3987

    Ask specifically how often teachers change. We focused on infrastructure the first time and later realised teacher stability mattered much more to our child. We changed our approach after about a month because the first plan was too hard to sustain.

    • eo9470

      Did your child take time to adjust, or was the improvement fairly quick?

    • Rahul Shetty

      Thanks for saying this. Online advice often makes normal family life sound much more organised than it really is.

    • of8763

      Same here. The logistics are what make the 'ideal' option difficult in real life. The commute piece changed our final shortlist more than expected. We only reached that conclusion after trying the other approach first.

  • zs7151

    I would keep at least two backup options until the admission is formally confirmed. Timelines can overlap and waiting for one school made us unnecessarily anxious. I would still verify it with the school for the current academic year. I would still test it for a short period before making a long commitment.

    • th4059

      That is reassuring. We are trying to avoid making this a bigger issue than it needs to be. I wish we had asked this before paying the registration amount. We only reached that conclusion after trying the other approach first.

  • Ramesh Iyer

    I would keep at least two backup options until the admission is formally confirmed. Timelines can overlap and waiting for one school made us unnecessarily anxious. We are in Chennai and this came up for us last year.

    edited

    • Imran Siddiqui

      This helps. I am going to add this to the questions for our next visit/meeting. The commute piece changed our final shortlist more than expected. We only reached that conclusion after trying the other approach first.

    • xl8585

      This is close to what my spouse is suggesting too. I may have been overcomplicating it.

Add a comment

Share what happened for you. Plain text; be kind and specific.