Mid-year admission after relocating to Visakhapatnam: where do we even start?

xd9283

We may relocate around November, which is the worst possible timing for school admissions. Child is currently in Class 8. If you have moved mid-year, did schools keep seats for transfers, ask for entrance tests, or make you wait until the next academic year? If you faced the same decision and later changed your mind, I would love to know why.

3 comments

  • sj3622

    I would keep at least two backup options until the admission is formally confirmed. Timelines can overlap and waiting for one school made us unnecessarily anxious. For us, the admission office answer and the parent answer were not always the same. We are in Bengaluru, so local logistics may be a little different.

    • xd9283

      We tried something similar once, but probably gave up too early. How long did you continue before judging it? For us, the admission office answer and the parent answer were not always the same. We are in Visakhapatnam, so local logistics may be a little different.

    • wk8144

      That is reassuring. We are trying to avoid making this a bigger issue than it needs to be. For us, the admission office answer and the parent answer were not always the same. We only reached that conclusion after trying the other approach first.

    • dt9155

      I agree with this. Once we reduced the number of moving parts, everyone became calmer. We found this out only after doing a second school visit. We made the change gradually rather than all at once.

    • Maya Mathew

      Replying to @dt9155

      That clarifies it, thanks. I would still verify it with the school for the current academic year. We only reached that conclusion after trying the other approach first.

  • gv4082

    For us commute became a bigger issue than expected. A school can be great, but an exhausted child spending 90 minutes a day in traffic is also a real cost. We are in Bengaluru and this came up for us last year.

    • oe5792

      We tried something similar once, but probably gave up too early. How long did you continue before judging it? The commute piece changed our final shortlist more than expected. I would still test it for a short period before making a long commitment.

  • Aparna N

    I would keep at least two backup options until the admission is formally confirmed. Timelines can overlap and waiting for one school made us unnecessarily anxious. For us, the admission office answer and the parent answer were not always the same. I would still test it for a short period before making a long commitment.

    • pa6745

      I agree with this. Once we reduced the number of moving parts, everyone became calmer. The commute piece changed our final shortlist more than expected. Your child's response may be different, but this was our experience.

    • mw3779

      Replying to @pa6745

      Exactly the kind of detail I needed. The commute piece changed our final shortlist more than expected. We are in Mysuru, so local logistics may be a little different.

Add a comment

Share what happened for you. Plain text; be kind and specific.